Thursday, April 14, 2011

2011 NATGEO Earth Day Run




I was looking forward to the 2011 NATGEO Earth Day Run as it will be the second time I’ll be joining a Fun Race. The first time was a month ago when I competed in the 5K run of the Race Against Trafficking (RAT Race) held at McKinley Hill, Taguig. I intended to break my personal record of 24:50 in the NAT GEO 5K run. But something unexpected happened. During the registration, we were told that the 5K slots have already been filled up. As such only 10K and 21K slots are available. I was in total disbelief. I’ve set my goal already for the 5K run. In fact, I’ve already been training for it. But I really wanted to run. So I said, BRING IT ON!!! And so, I registered that day for the 10K race.


All in all, there were about 10,000+ participants. 10K race is something unimaginable for me at that time. I can finish a 5K run, yes, but after finishing it, I’d be panting like a dog. Simple math would tell us, 5K is just half of the 10K run. I could only shake my head and say, “bahala na!” When I registered I had at least three weeks to prepare. But I continued running only 5K as my body would only allow me to go that far. 3 days prior to the race, I forced myself to complete the 10K. I finished with a time of 1hour and 7minutes. My body was numb after the run. I felt my chest will explode. But I felt a sense of relief knowing that indeed I can finish it no matter what. I checked my time versus results from previous races and I saw that my time would at least put me at the upper half of the runners ranking. But I wanted to do better. I set my goal finishing it at least below 60 minutes. The following day (2 days before the race), there was an event here at work. I completely and intentionally forget about the race and just allowed myself to have a good time. I got home drunk. So the day prior to the race, I was nursing myself from hang over and dehydration.

The Singlet

Race Day!

I woke up at around 3am. Assembly time is at 4:30 and Gun time is at 5:30. I wanted to be at Fort early and avoid being late (as I usually do). I was relaxed when I got there even though I know I’m not in my top condition. I still feel a bit dehydrated. And I’ve been lacking sleep the past 2 days. At that time, I reset my goal and just aim to finish the race. Shown below is the 10K race route.




And my time as logged in my phone application:


Date: 04/10/2011

Run Distance: 10.09 kilometers

Time: 0 hr 55 min 29 secs

Average pace: 5:34 min/kilometers

Route: Route - 2011-04-10 Route link: http://www.logyourrun.com/showroute/OwNlFKJiPFKybq

Shoes: Nike Calories: 790


I was able to finish the race with a time of 55 minutes. A good time indeed and placed me in the Top 150 out of 3,000 plus runners. But I wasn’t too happy about it coz in the middle of the race, I walked! The effect of the past 2 days I did prior to the race really caused me to suffer. I burned out quite easily. I got so frustrated at that time coz the thought of walking a running race is only what a looser will do. Yes, I’m kinda hard on myself. But still, I’m looking forward to my next race. I’m glad running has already been fully integrated in my workout program. I go to the gym MWF and running TTH. In two months’ time, I already lost almost 9 pounds. Now I weight 144lbs. Though I lost a lot of muscles as well. My built became leaner as compared to before. Need to consult a trainer how I could gain some of it back even as I continue with running. During the race I realized what I still need work on. On top of the list is my endurance. So I made a resolution that from then on I would quit smoking, drinking, and well, partying. So will I? Nope! Not in a million years! Bleh!! LOL!



4 comments:

  1. Nagkaroon din ng run ang GMA 7 and its for charity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I heard about that. Sabay sila last Sunday ng NatGeo. Do you also run?

    ReplyDelete
  3. not really usually sa treadmill lang sa gym. ayaw ko kasi maarawan at mainitan (LOL! im soo maarte hihihihi)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha. Arte much? Hahahaha. I have to do cardio coz im not burning enough calories from just lifting weights to prevent me from gaining more weight. But i hate treadmill.it bores me. so ayun nga, since i really have to run, the only way for me to fight boredom is to do it outdoor. pwede naman sa umaga or sa hapon para di ka maarawan or maiinitan. :)

    ReplyDelete