Friday, September 23, 2022

Important Decision

Sometime in January 2019 a friend of mine organized a reach out program for an orphanage in Manila. It was also that month that her son was celebrating his first birthday. I immediately accepted her invitation to join her since at that time I was already thinking of adopting a child. It would give me an opportunity to know and meet and also gauge and have a feel being around orphans who could potentially be my own kid.

I woke up really early on the day of our visit to the orphanage. I made sure all the goodies I prepared the day before are all loaded in my car. I was really so excited. I was imagining already playing with the kids, getting to know them. However, when we got there, something unexpected happened. From the outside there was a glass door where you could see the kids. It was their playroom where they spend most of their time. We got excited seeing them so we approached the door to see and greet them. When the kids saw us, all them ran to the glass door. Each tried to get our attention. Some tapped the glass door, some waved their hands and some reached out their arms towards us. It was crazy. This particular scene reminded me of when I visit a pet store where some puppies would try to get your attention like begging for you to take them. That’s exactly what I thought of during that time. Was it really a desperate plea hoping someone would take them?  Why were they in such situation? Nasaan ang mga magulang ng mga ito? Bakit sila pinabayaan at iniwan sa lugar na ito?  It broke my heart at napaluha ako while I was looking at the kids. I wasn’t really prepared for it. 

So we spent our time playing with the kids. Pinagkaguluhan nila kami. Pinag aagawan nila kami. Almost everyone would try to get your attention hoping you’d carry them in your arms or at least play with them. It was fun yet a heartbreaking experience. I felt sorry for them. But come to think of it, I am also like those kids. Maybe not as desperate but was somehow also searching and longing for a family to call my own. 

When I got home I immediately grabbed my laptop and started to search on the internet adoption process in the Philippines. After about an hour or two of browsing and reading, I picked my phone and called my friend and told her, “I’m gonna do it! I’m gonna have a child of my own. I’m gonna adopt!” With that, I made the most important decision of my life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment