Monday, July 25, 2011

Amy Oh Amy!

I woke up yesterday faced with a sad news, Amy Winehouse is dead. It didn’t come as a surprise coz as we all know, over the past few years, Amy has been battling personal problems and substance abuse. But still, the news came as a bit of a shock to me coz I have always been hoping she’d come around and once more make use of her unique talent and create more beautiful music. All hope is in vain now. I came to know Amy’s existence in 2008 when she won the Grammy’s Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance for her second album Back to Black. Many artists questioned such victory including Janet Jackson why such an award be given to someone like her who has drug problems. But Grammy’s is about recognizing people for their artistry and musical excellence and not just how an artist lives her or his life. Amy, by any measure, deserves such honor. In this generation, Amy’s soulful voice sets her apart from other artist. When I listen to her songs, her voice just totally consumes me. It was my own addiction, my own heroine. I love Soul and Jazz music. To find an artist in our time that can attack such genre with ease and such conviction is rare. Amy fits that role perfectly. She died at age 27 and joined the ranks of the so-called 27 club which includes Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, and Jim Morrison among others. I mourn for her loss.

Amy, thank you for the wonderful music. Your pain is over now. Sleep tight my love.

Valerie


Love is a Losing Game


Tears Dry On Their Own

No comments:

Post a Comment